Saturday 11 September 2010

Dress Your Family In Corduroy And Denim - David Sedaris


I read this book mostly because I liked the title.  I had hoped that it would present a lifestyle manifesto based upon wearing corduroy and denim.  I was mistaken.  It is actually a collection of pieces written for various magazines and newspapers over the years.  Any one of these would be entertaining on its own but a whole book of them with no real connection to one another is a bit wearing.  Most of the pieces are about his relationship with his family and most of the best ones are about his childhood.  Pretty much all the characters have gotten more irritating as they have gotten older.

Really there is nothing wrong as such with this book, it is in fact pretty funny in places, but really I got fed up with it after fifty pages and was pretty glad to finish it.

3/10

No comments:

Post a Comment